Wednesday, April 28, 2010

MEMORABLE PLACES

Okay, this batch is a series of "real" places, or variations on real places, that I know. All of the drawings were done remotely, from memory, sometimes with deliberate changes. You'll see what I mean.


Here's my parents' living room on the Cape. I'm pretty sure I got this right, though I don't know if that weird Mexican print is still hanging there.


And here's something like the kitchen in Adam Bellow's apartment. This is also the first piece of 'design' I've done since there are deliberate modifications. The window seat, for example, since I've always found that my feet start hurting if I'm cooking in there. There's also a cut out in the wall above the sink (although in Adam's apartment that would face into a bathroom...), and I think I changed the pattern on the floor.


This is sort of like, or at least inspired by, the balcony in Jon Reeder's apartment in Amsterdam. The perspective is a little screwy, but it was mostly an exercise in texture. It seems to me a comfortable place to spend a cool summer night (which I have done, on psychedelics).


This is not a real place, but it's in the spirit of New Englandy homes and not entirely unlike my parents' house on the Cape. Charles really liked this sketch, and I do too. It was my first attempt to use a fountain pen. Sadly, the sharpie lines from the drawing of Adam Bellow's kitchen on the reverse side bled through and are hard to ignore. In the future, I'll stick to one drawing per piece of paper. Lesson learned.


Again, not a real place per se. Charles' response to this one was that I like to draw in this "vernacular" style because it comes from my childhood. I was a little surprised by that; maybe people in California think this is what New England looks like? I guess they're pretty much right, actually. In any case, I promise that if I design anything too New Englandy, I'll try to subvert it in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment